What is the Nobel Peace Prize?
It is one of the five Nobel Prizes awarded for outstanding contributions in chemistry, physics, literature, peace, and physiology or medicine. Founded by Alfred Nobel, an engineer, and inventor. He was involved in the peace movement and in his 1895 Will, he left a share of his fortune to the Nobel prizes, a tradition which continues today. Every year, qualified people are invited by the Norwegian Nobel Committee to submit their nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The prize is awarded to those who have “done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses”.
Nobel Peace Prize Medal
The medal was designed by sculptor Gustav Vigeland and engraving by Erik Lindberg. The original medal was made from 23 carat gold and weighed in at 192 grams. Since 1980 it has been made from 18 carat gold and weighs in at 196 grams, the diameter remaining 6.6cms. The medal face has a portrait of Alfred Nobel with edging engraved with his name and birth and death dates.
Past Nobel Peace Prize Winners
- Martin Luther King, Jr. civil rights campaigner awarded for being the “first person in the Western world to have shown us that a struggle can be waged without violence.”
- Mother Teresa, Roman Catholic nun and founder of The Missionaries of Charity awarded “for work undertaken in the struggle to overcome poverty and distress, which also constitutes a threat to peace.”
- Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama awarded for “the struggle of the liberation of Tibet and the efforts for a peaceful resolution”
- Nelson Mandela and Frederik Willem de Klerk (former President and State President of South Africa) awarded “for their work for the peaceful termination of the apartheid regime, and for laying the foundations for a new democratic South Africa”
- Barack Obama, the 44th president of the U.S. awarded “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.”
- Malala Yousafzai, activist for female education awarded for “for their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education”
The 2016 award winner will be announced on 7th October 2016!
Custom Awards by Platinum Awards
Have you got a special awards ceremony coming up? Platinum Awards provide custom medals and awards for businesses, sports teams, individuals – and more! We have a large variety of designs to choose from including custom awards. Please feel free to view our catalogue, contact us, or visit our showroom in Brookvale (located on Sydney’s Northern Beaches).